Bummer…

by RJ Silver on November 11, 2012

After a test read with about 30 people, I’ve concluded that my new novel, The Optimist & the Pessimist, isn’t worthy of my readers’ time or money. The general reaction to it has been “mildly amusing”, which just doesn’t make the grade.

So much for my experiment with a longer, more complex humor book. Apparently,┬ámy mostly female audience prefers the wacky, immature me, which is really quite strange, considering that’s exactly the me that has irritated the hell out of so many women over the years. Go figure.

At any rate, after a year of experimenting with slightly more serious works, I guess it’s time to roll out all those stories that I know are going to make my poor old mother blush. Forgive me, Mommy.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Alias Name December 9, 2012 at 3:17 am

Hello sir. (: I have long appreciated your work. I think I, along with other fans, would be interested in your more complex books.
Today, I suddenly remembered that you had mentioned something about a writing contest quite a while back, so I decided to check our your Facebook page to see how it’s going. Then, I realized you were nowhere to be found, and that sent me into a state of panic until I found this website.
So, how is the contest going? How come we can’t find you on Facebook anymore?
Sorry if that sounded like an accusation… I swear it’s not, I’m just curious!
Ahh well, have a nice day!

RJ Silver December 9, 2012 at 5:19 am

Hmmm, so many questions. Well, first, I pulled out of Twitter and Facebook because I am officially the world’s worst marketer. I take that title seriously, so when all the marketing gurus started recommending social networking, I immediately dropped it.
I don’t even remember the contest, but I’m pretty sure it was a flop. I say that because, if it had been a success, I would have remembered it!
As for my more complex books, I have only one rule in life: never cheat anyone, either out of their time or money. So if my books aren’t good enough, they never get published. That’s why my rate of publishing is so low. I keep finishing books for my most devoted customer: my garbage can! :)

Natascha November 12, 2012 at 8:06 am

Oh, nut sacks! I am sorry that The O & The P wasn’t all you hoped it would be. I look forward to your future work. Good luck!

RJ Silver November 12, 2012 at 10:42 am

Hey, no biggie. You try and, if it doesn’t work out, you try again. Now that’s an optimist!

yoon November 11, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Could it have been that the target audience for your longer and more complex humor book is different?

RJ Silver November 12, 2012 at 12:22 am

You are quite right, Yoon. To be honest, I was trying stretch the boundaries this past year because I didn’t want to get pigeon-holed into the writing the same type of book over and over again, and I get a lot of email pressure to turn out another P & P. Fear not, however. I’m writing a book about testicles as we speak. The main characters hang around together a lot, but their relationship is hot and cold.

heidenkind November 11, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I think you should still publish it. You can make it free… :)

RJ Silver November 12, 2012 at 12:19 am

Because apparently I like slaving away to finish books, and then filing them away to never be seen again. This is my third in 13 months, my 5th in two years. Maybe I’m just a sadist to my inner artist.